Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Keep Going When Motivation Takes A Hike

What's the hardest thing about exercising at home? If you're anything like me, it's simple lack of motivation. Before I became a mother, I belonged to a gym. No matter how ambivalent I felt, I knew all I had to do was get myself there and the instructor would take over. Even if I was planning a weight training session, just being at the gym surrounded by other fit and sweating bodies was enough to re-energize me.

At home, I'm more likely to be surrounded by piles of laundry and dishes waiting to be washed. Is it the same in your house?

So what can you do when the motivation slips and you begin to feel that simply getting the house in shape presents enough of a challenge?

The first thing to do is figure out what's causing the problem. Burnout, boredom and failure to see results would be the most likely culprits. Although it's not impossible to suffer from more than one at a time, we'll deal with them one by one.

Burnout happens when you overdo it. You dash headlong into fitness hoping to see results fast. When you see them, you try even harder in a quest for more visible results, greater performance. Soon, you begin to suffer niggling little injuries, unexplained aches and pains, fatigue. Minor infections become more frequent, last longer.Your reasoning goes askew. "I need to be stronger," you think. "If I'm fitter, I'll stop feeling like this."

So you work out even harder.

To see all the other great tips, visit How To Keep Going, When Motivation Takes A Hike on FamilyCorner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment